Monday, October 22, 2012

team living water

I started running marathons several years ago...basically to prove to myself that I could. I've been a runner for years - running cross country in middle school and high school - but running a full marathon was a whole different challenge. Marathon training can take over your life but it is so incredibly rewarding when you cross that finish line.

Running with a charity gave a greater purpose to my running. My first marathon was Indianapolis in 2009 and I ran with the St. Judes team. Raising money allowed me to share what I was doing with friends and family, gain encouragement through my daily training, and gave us all a reminder of what life is all about.

Since that race, I've run several other full and half marathons - I think I got the bug! Eating a gluten free & vegan diet has tremendously helped my running, too. I have more energy to train harder, my recovery times are shorter, and my race times are much faster. (My PR was last fall running the Ragnar Relay - even faster than I was in high school!)

As you know, when my dad was diagnosed with cancer in 2010, my life was really changed. Not only did I make a huge change in my diet and view of health, but we also came together as a family. I ran with the American Cancer Society at the Houston Marathon in 2011 and was proud to have so many generous supporters raise money for cancer research and patient care.

This year I am running with Team Living Water to raise money to provide clean water to communities suffering in Africa. It is amazing how a small amount of our resources will go a long way to help our brothers and sisters overseas. I am very passionate about international missions and the work of organizations like Living Water. My goal in this year's race is to raise awareness about the work Living Water is doing and gain support from my friends and family. Though I will need encouragement throughout my training and on race day, I hope you will be able to financially support my goal of raising $1,000.

Living Water International helps communities acquire safe, clean water... loving the poorest of the poor in the name of Jesus. In 21 years, they have completed 10,000+ water projects in 24 countries, serving millions of people every day. Their goal is to ease the global water crisis while addressing root causes such as injustice, oppression, and abject poverty.

Click here to help support my goal of raising money this year. Thank you in advance for your support!

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free." 
Psalm 119:32

No comments:

Post a Comment