Tuesday, March 13, 2012

road trip

My best friend is getting married in Dallas, so it's road trip time for me and Benny! It is an eleven hour drive from Nashville, so we're splitting it up and staying with friends along the way. I'm excited to see Katherine in Memphis, Lily & Will in Dallas, and Treva & Josh in Little Rock. Here we go!

To save some moo-lah (and to avoid eating fast food on the road), we're packing lots of snacks for the car. The most important thing I've learned with this diet is always be prepared. Inevitably, I'll be getting hungry every few hours. If I don't have something with me, chances are I'll be incredibly tempted to eat something awful. If you're trying to follow a healthy diet, you'll quickly realize that the American food industry does not make this easy. Take a little extra effort and prepare meals, think ahead of time, and pack snacks. You'll be much happier for it. Remember, this isn't about deprivation or starvation. It is about the happiness you feel when you're healthy and happy.

So, we loaded up the car with a bunch of bananas, several apples, a box of grapes, some gluten-free crackers, carrot sticks & hummus, oatmeal, green smoothies, and several containers of salad. We prepared the salads ahead of time and packed the dressing on the side. This way, while one person drove, the other could eat. We had this system down! Our food lasted through the weekend - we were satisfied, happy, and healthy!

The beautiful bride, Katy.

No comments:

Post a Comment